What Happens When You Plant One Tree?
March 21 is International Day of Forests!
The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed March 21 the International Day of Forests in 2012 to celebrate and raise awareness of the importance of all types of forests. Human activities, such as logging and mining, lead to deforestation and have devastating consequences on the environment. Consequences of deforestation include loss of habitat, increased greenhouse gas emissions, soil erosion and flooding.
With about 2.47 million trees being cut down every day, reforestation is a vital action to protect our environment. Tree planting is incredibly important for supporting ecosystems and other natural processes, as well as for curbing atmospheric carbon dioxide levels.
What happens when you plant one tree?
- You’ll help clean the air you breathe: It’s estimated that one tree can absorb nearly 10 pounds of polluted air each year and release 260 pounds of oxygen.
- You’ll increase the value of your home: Studies of comparable homes with and without trees show that, if you have trees in your yard, your home’s value increases by up to 15 percent.
- You’ll save money on your energy bills: Trees conserve energy in summer and winter, providing shade from the sun and shelter from wind. With trees, you’ll spend less on your energy bill to heat and cool your home.
- You’ll attract birds and provide shelter for wildlife: Trees provide nesting sites, food and shelter for your bird and squirrel friends.
- Your mental and physical health will improve: Did you know tree-filled gardens on hospital grounds speed up the recovery process in hospital patients? A view of trees has been proven to reduce stress and anxiety.
- You’ll fight climate change: Through photosynthesis, trees absorb harmful carbon dioxide, removing and storing the carbon and releasing oxygen back into the air.
Spreading the word always helps! If you tell your friend or neighbor that you’ve planted a tree, you could inspire them to do the same. Planting even just one tree has a powerful impact on the world.
When it comes to doing what’s right for the environment, Green Choice Energy is proud to partner with the nonprofit organization One Tree Planted. As you join our community, we work with One Tree Planted to plant a tree as a symbol of our commitment to keep our environment healthy and sustainable for future generations. Sign up with Green Choice Energy today!